Thursday 5 August 2021

JUNE WRAP UP! I am embarassed, believe me.



Hey everyone! I know, I know, June Wrap in August. Honestly, I can't tell you about the shock I felt when I saw this wasn't uploaded earlier and not only that, the complete draft was missing. I am so sorry about the delay, but here it is, written again. It was painful to write this all over again because it's Agust and I can barely remember the ones I read in July, to be writing this now. But I hope you had a great month in reading in June, and you enjoy this post today! 


In June, I read a total of 12 books and I would be talking about them, rating them, without further ado, let's start off!


Rating System :

🌠Stars -

⭐ : Either dnf'd or wondering why bother finishing

⭐⭐ : Okay.. but whatever, do something about the plot holes

⭐⭐⭐ : Hm.. but I don't feel it

⭐⭐⭐⭐ : You gave me something good which could've been better

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ : Talk about my favorite


❣️ Hearts -

πŸ’› : Oh.. I read it? Yesterday? No impact. Will forget MC's name tomorrow.

πŸ’š : Confused if I should lower the ratings

πŸ’™ : Happy got to read it.

πŸ’œ: I looooved it but boy where did you miss??

❤️ : Giddy, Crying, Screaming. Don't talk to me rn pls


✨No hearts, No stars : HATED

✨ ❤️ heart, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ stars : ALL TIME FAVOURITE


Tweet Cute by Emma Lord


It's like the second last book I read in June so it's kinda still fresh in my mind. Tweet Cute, as almost every book-lover knows, is a YA romance. It has online lovers trope, enemies-to-friends-to-lovers trope and a twitter war… thingy going on. Lol, so… 

Pepper is a workaholic. Her parents are divorced and her sister doesn't live with them because of "some reasons". Her parents are owners of this huge fast food chain – Big League Burger, and she partly handles their twitter account because she's good at posting "catchy" tweets. Meanwhile, Jack is this person everyone's disappointed to meet, not because he's not interesting or anything… but he has a twin brother who is vastly more popular than Jack, and who wants to know Jack when there's his brother? Jack's parents are owners of this local deli, and they expect him to take over the business after them. He spends most of his time there and has this love-hate relationship with the deli because no one wants to know what he wants… they have just told him, "Hey, since your brother is too cool to stay behind and take over the deli, who's left? Oh, you!". Jack likes building apps, he's even the anonymous creator of the "Weazel" app everyone uses at their school.

Pepper and Jack know each other from school, neither is a fan of the other. Jack is in the dive team and Pepper is captain of the swim team. Jack and Pepper are also talking on Weazel app (without knowing who's on the other side) and… there's the Twitter War, which starts when Big League Burger steals a recipe from Girl Cheesing's (deli's) menu and these two go off at each other. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Unfortunately, for me, I didn't like this book as much as I wanted. It had to do with certain characters and some scenes that I found too clichΓ© for my taste, but it could be your thing! I won't say that I absolutely loathed it and won't want anyone to read it, but just… It's not something I would read again. 

I gave it a 1 star. πŸ’š Heart.


Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes


Flowers for Algernon is one of the few books that were a success this month. It is about Charlie, a thirty-something year old guy, with a depressingly low IQ of 68. He's this poor human being who has always dreamt of being smart and wants to impress his mother who always tried too hard and never believed that her son was a lost cause. When scientists offer to do an experiment on him which could turn him smart, he readily agrees and volunteers to be the first human this experiment was going to be done on. Within a time period of a few months, his IQ passed over 185. He slowly starts realising how everything he always thought was never how it actually used to be.

Algernon is a mouse, who had gone through the same experiment as Charlie, before him, but after a few months it's noticed that Algernon is detarioating mentally and is showing some strange behaviour. 

This book is an emotional tear-jerker, which would make you think and feel for these characters. I loved this book a lot. I gave it 4 Stars. ❤️ Heart. 


In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken


The last book in the Darkest Minds series. My favourite series this year... well no longer. 

Ruby and other survivors of the government's attack, in Los Angeles, need to put all their forces and strength together for the final battle of freedom. IAAN, the disease that killed more than 90% of America's youth is still not figured out, and those who survived the clearance are a threat because they have unnatural powers. To control these kids, the government enrolled them in camps where they are threatened and laboured and in some cases, killed. Ruby and her friends are on a quest to find the cause of this disease, to find a solution on how to put their powers to stop and to tell everyone of what's been happening to them in those camps. It's the final battle, no one can look back. 

I loved book one, I adored book two, I loved the novellas in between, the characters were my favorite and… I dnf'd the last book. I mean, I know what happens in the ending (I read book summaries and other reviews) but I had given up on this, like, in the first half. I am so disappointed, I want to forget about it. I gave it no stars. No hearts. I can't-


Seriously... I am kidding by Ellen DeGeneres


I wasn't expecting to read this book so soon. It's been on my shelves for a long time, but I knew I might have to pass it on without touching because I was taking too long. This book sat in it's place and I never looked at it twice for God's sake! And then... I accidentally started listening to the audiobook, bam! I heard the whole thing, and read it as well.

Wow… Now, I think of it, I can't remember a thing, and that's after reading it twice. But honestly, most of it was Ellen babbling about what she likes and dislikes and some more stuff.. sometimes, advice, and ofcourse, the book was funny. I am not a fan of Ellen, never opened my TV to watch an episode of her show specifically. I have watched her only a few times, when she interviewed BTS or her celebrity - scaring compilation. Why I brought this book is still a mystery to me. 

I gave it 3 stars. πŸ’› Heart.


The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. (as told by his brother) by David Levithan


Honestly, I didn't had a great time this month. There were 3 huge disappointments, books that I expected a lot from and they made me pull my hair, and there were many 3 star rated books. I didn't had much expectations from this one, and it didn't surprise me. And compared to others, I am quite happy with it because it gave me exactly what it was supposed to. 

It's a middle grade book (quite literally). Aidan and Lucas are brothers, twelve and eleven of ages. One day, Aidan vanishes. They search everywhere, the parents, police, soon afterwards, the whole city, but he has just disappeared. And then he's back! Many people called in to check where he have been and how was he found, but the story Aidan tells his parents and police is simply unbelievable. No one believes him except his brother, Lucas, because he loves his brother and unlike his parents, it doesn't matters to Lucas if the story makes sense or not. 

It's a middle grade book, and I hope only the targeted age read it. I can't tell what the book was aiming at, what's the "moral"? Maybe that's not the question I am supposed to be asking… Anyway, this was a light read. Although there were obvious flaws, but the 11 ear old inside me is smiling, so I am oddly happy I read this book.

3 Stars. πŸ’™ Heart.


Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie


I have never felt so happy after reading a mystery! 

Okay, so I am really late to the world of amazing mystery books and authors, and my first stop is Agatha Christie. The book title is suggestive enough, Hercule Poirot, the famous talented crime detective, is travelling in Orient express, and look at the stars, a muder happens! A man has been killed mercilessly after being stabbed 12 times! 13 suspects, everyone has an alibi and everyone has a motive to kill.

I have never read something like this. How this mystery was solved is just so amazing! This book has had a grip on me from page 1! There were no electronics or an investigating team or police or phones because the train is stuck in a storm, so the only means of investigation was verbal inquisition or searching the coaches. 

It was extremely fun to be a part of the detective crew, everything was beautifully placed. I loved it so much and would recommend it to everyone! Also, great shout out to the audiobook narrator, I loved the accents and overall sound / dialogue effects. Amazing work!

5 stars. ❤️ Heart.


The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware



Ruth Ware's, The Woman in Cabin 10, my "supposed" third mystery read this month, "supposed" because The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. wasn't actually a mystery. 

So, the book is about Lo Blacklock, who's a journalist. She got this amazing opportunity to be on a luxury cruise ship for her project! The Aurora, is a not as vast as thought prior, infact the size of a big yacht. But the insides are polished plush. Laura, though, is having a hard time since she's an anxiety patient and the recent events of her house being broke in has left her in goosebumps. On the first day, at three in the night, she heard a scream, followed by a loud splash. She makes a sprint for the veranda, and over the railing sees, what could presumably be a woman drowning.

She raises the alarm but her story and the lack of evidence doesn't convince anyone to believe her. And then she finds out that the woman next door, who lent her a mascara hours ago, had just vanished. On inquiry, there was no woman on the boat who's the same discription as Laura says. The question is, was there any woman at all? Or was it all in her head? Or something so wrong happened on the ship and Lo can't do anything about it?

This book was the most thrilling thing I have read in a while, maybe the only thriller I have read in a while, maybe I should get more, I really enjoy them. Anyway, the writing was good, it kept me hooked till the last page but the pace was really on and off. I thought the main character was whiny and nosy, but well, considering her situation I don't blame her too much for it. Though, there was one incident in which one of her friends on the ship sexually assaults her, she shrieks but then forgive him too easily. That made me super uncomfortable. 

Overall, I thought it was decent, but could've been a lot better. 

3.5 stars. πŸ’œ Heart


Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Surprise, surprise!! I didn't knew I was going to re-read Hunger Games so soon. Like, it has been more than a year, but still. I always thought I would be re-reading HP first, then The Hunger Games triology, but the challenges I was taking part in on Goodreads always dwindle with my tbrs! But I am actually pretty dedicated at winning soπŸ˜›

Hunger Games, if you don't know about it already, I don't know where have you been all your life, but, it's about a country, Panem. Panem is divided into 13 districts and one capitol. Each year, two tributes from each district volunteer to practice in the games. During the games, they all have to kill each other till only one survives. When 16 year old Katniss' sister's name is announced in the selection ceremony, Katniss steps up and volunteers to take her place on the death sentence. 

It's thrilling and addictive. I love the whole series, and this re-read was so smooth!! I just loved how everything was so fresh in my mind and I could enjoy the details I had missed during my first read. I am so happy I could read it! I gave it a 5 stars and ❤️ Heart! 


Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire SΓ‘enz


If the last three reads were overwhelming, Aristotle and Dante shoved me back to ground. This book was a huuuge disappointment. I had very high expectations of this book, unfortunately, I now agree covers can be misleading, because look at that beauty above, it was love at first sight and hate at last page.

Aristotle is a angry teenager, whose brother is in jail. Dante is the total opposite of him, he has an unusual way of looking at life. When these two people meet, firecrackers light up the sky and a bond immediately forms. It was a story about friendships, hardships, it was the kinda story that changes your life (ruins your mood).

None of the above things happened, I ended up pretty annoyed and mad. There were a lot of ways this book could've been better. I thought the writing was lazy and the dialogues were unedited imagination on papers. This story was plotless, as is the case with most of the coming-of-the-age novels, but they have a meaning and purpose, I didn't felt any in this case. I didn't like characters, the relationship/friendship, the writing style.. seriously nothing! I even wrote a rant here.

I gave it a 1.5 stars. πŸ’š Heart.


The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


My third classic read this year. Beloved of many, The Book Theif by Markus Zusak. Before starting this, I had no clue what to expect, delightful? Sad? I didn't know. I didn't even know that it was written in "death's" pov, which when I read the first page was really the coolest thing I had seen in books in a while.

The Book Theif is set in Nazi Germany, around the time of World War II. The story follows a young girl, Liesel, who lives with her foster parents. Liesel is the 'book thief' from the title and the book revolves around her life and experiences told from her diaries through the perspective of "death". 

I would recommend you guys to read my full review here if you are reading this the first time, because I wasn't told some things about this book either in the blurb or most of the other reviews I had read after finishing my read, and I thought you really need to know this before expecting anything form this book. It was again one of those books which have no real plot but a message, a story to be told, a feeling to be shared. I somewhere have a special corner for this book, I enjoyed it a lot. 

3 stars. πŸ’™ Heart.


Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2) by Richelle Mead


I am reading the Vampire Academy series this year, one book per month starting May. I don't want to go in deep about the details of the book because if I do so, I am spoiling the last book in series. So I would keep it short. I am loving this series so much so far. 

This book in particular gave me chills. I love the writing style and the mood of the book. Compared to the last time, there's a lot less high school drama which I am really happy about. I rated this book a 4.5 stars, ❤️ Heart, and I am so excited to read the next one in series!


The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan


Ooookay! Fourth book in the series, although I am not really fond of these books, I am always waiting to kick off my month with one of these! I am confusing myself here… eee...

In the fourth installment of PJO series, Kronos is too close to coming back to life and Camp Half-blood is not safe anymore. Kronos' army, lead by Luke, an old friend of Percy who betrayed them to follow Kronos, are planning an invasion into Camp Half-Blood through a secret passage. To stop them, Percy and his friends have to go on a deadly quest. They are going inside The Labyrinth, an underground maze from which noone has ever come out, and ask for help from Daedalus, the creator of this Labyrinth. 

I thought, compartively, this book was the most impressive of all the Pjo books I have read so far. It was funny (as usual) and packed with adventure. Unpopular opinion, but this one made me hate Annabeth. She was so secretive all the time. She was unnaturally protective of Luke which pissed me off because she won't give me a reason. She couldn't tell us one single thing without "the secret" being mentioned a thousand times in the book, I mean- why couldn't you tell me this piece of information earlier!?? Aside from that, I enjoyed it a lot! 4 stars. πŸ’› Heart.


So that were all the books I read in June month, I hope you liked reading about what were my experiences and thoughts while reading these books. 


Also, there was a ranking I talked about in my June TBR blog for the three mysteries I read. If you are new here, or you don't remember, I said I would be ranking the three books (which I think is already done.. the ratings and all). I said back then, that I expect the order would be : The Murder on the Orient Express > The Woman in Cabin 10 > The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S., which is exactly what the results are! So yay for all the three books! 

I would love to see what you guys read in June month, what were your thoughts? Also, have you read any of the books I mentioned in this blog, if you did what did you rate them? For now, it's a goodbye! I will see you in next post!


xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

AM I A SALLY ROONEY GIRL | Reading Sally Rooney for the first time! :)

Hey! So we're doing this. You've seen the title. You know what we are doing. But first of all, HEY! WELCOME. Pleased to see you here...