Monday 18 July 2022

The BookBlogger Newbie Tag!! (of a not-so-newbie)



Hey everyone! I am back! 

Just kidding. I am back... in my Booktube phase, where I consume a lot of Booktube content in a day, and I realised I never did the Newbie Tag (any tag for that matter, not like I am Booktuber). But I wanted to do it (blog style), because it's really a great way to get to know me and for you to decide if you like my content or just.. me I guess. It's been more than a year since I have started this blog and I still consider myself a newbie because I am not consistent, and I literally have like 13 posts, but I enjoy doing this so I am not going anywhere anytime soon. Except the occasional hiatus like I am currently on because of my exams. And it feels great to be writing a blog post after so long. 

Let's just get started. 

But before the questions, I would like to introduce myself. Interesting fact, I never did it. So, my birth name is Mariya, my friends call me Mia, and that's what my name is on my socials. I am brown, asian, Indian to be specific. English is not my first language and I haven't taken any classes for it except for school. I am done with school, and preparing to get into a university. Aside from reading, I love writing, listening to music, discovering new music, making playlists, and talking to people. I am ARMY, Mixer, Sheerio and newbie Swiftie. And I am years away from finishing my first novel. 

Okay, real question time. 


‌Why did you start this blog?

We're gonna keep this one short. I have nothing else to add here than what's already been said, like a thousand times. I like books! I like talking about them. I am a nerd. I have the time. And I don't have friends in real life who would wanna actively discuss about, like have whole conversations about them. So it's the need of the times and I am doing it. 


‌What are some fun and unique things you can bring to book community?

Uh.. nothing new I can think of really. Just my perspective. I am doing this for fun and socializing. Bringing something fresh and new ideas is not the intent, initially at least. 


‌What are you most excited for about this new blog?

Honestly, when I started, I was most excited about making bookish friends. On various platforms, I have tried to engage with book community, Goodreads, Booktube, Bookstagram, even WhatsApp groups, Telegram groups and Wattpad! And I have "acquainted" with a lot of amazing people, no lies. But I don't think I have really made "friends", which is kind of depressing, because I really really tried. When you are messaging people from Wattpad comments section to be your friend, asking their names and all.. you know you are desperate. So, by the means of this blog, I always wanted put my reading interests and personality in general, out there, so others could interact with me, and know me, and wanna be friends with me. It's been a year, I haven't had ANY interaction, maybe blogger really isn't the best choice, but it could also be inconsistency in my content. Anyway, I am not losing hope here. I am still having fun. But making new friends is what I am/was most excited about. 


‌When did you start reading / Why do you love reading?

Now, that could have a long answer. I have personal reasons and general ones, like escapism. I have only become a reader since the past 2-3 years, and the first year I was only reading Wattpad. The year before that I enjoyed reading web comics, A LOT of them, like in one of my diary entries, I had written about all the comics I was reading then or had read till then, it was 170+ comics in less than a year. And until that diary, I hadn't realised how crazy that was (in a good way). 

It's a long story, and that's not really the answer. Why I love reading.. 

1. The escapism. Especially in 11th, 2-ish years ago, I read my first novel. I was blown by how much it made me feel (generally and compared to the Wattpad stories as well), and how much I connected and felt like a part of the story. I had never experienced something like that while reading in school and I realised I really enjoyed it. And literature was fuckin' better than real life.

2. New experiences/ cultural knowledge. Compared to Wattpad stories and romantic K-dramas/C-dramas (that I used to watch), books were a lot more researched and accurate about things that happen in various places around the world and the things that happened in the past. I am not a traveller. I and my family have never been on vacations and had fun trips to new places. Books provide me all that.

3. Relatable. I discovered reading when I really needed it. For escapism but also for the feeling of validation. I feel like books educated me more than all of my schooling years combined. YA contemporary is still my favourite genre, and having the privledge to read, I feel a lot calmer, when stuff actually happens to me in real life, because I know it's not only me. Books in many ways have been my coping mechanism. 

This could go on and on.. we are skipping to next one.


‌What book or series got you into reading?

As I mentioned in point 1. in the previous question, in 11th, I read my first novel. It was The Fault In Our Stars (basic bitch) by John Green. My friend had recommended the book to me and it was the only book she had read as well, someone else had recommended her. I haven't ever re-read it, but as I said earlier, it was a new experience compared to web-comics and Wattpad. All three things - Web-comics, Wattpad and The Fault In Our Stars, got me into reading. 


‌What questions would you ask your favourite book bloggers?

I don't follow any book bloggers. Maybe that's the flaw in my plan, but I have not found many? Most of the people I like on this community are from either Booktube or Goodreads. And if I had any skills or equipment, or didn't have Cameraphobia, I would also probably be on Booktube instead. But, okay, to answer the question I would ask my favourite Booktuber, Kat from Paperbackdreams, her journey of leaving social media. I deleted mine this month and honestly, it wasn't that hard because I had the inspiration to do it, but I haven't been productive even after that. Like, I am either on Booktube or Goodreads for like 8 hours a day.. which when I say it like that, is really scary to me. Since she is always been relatable to me as a teenager and she's on book community, her experience with it might help me. 


‌What challenges do you think starting a Book Blog will be the hardest to overcome?

Uh.. finding time. I am student, so. Being consistent. Being honest but also not that serious about everything. Finding new ideas. 


‌What kind of books do you like to read?

I love a good heartfelt emotional book. My favourite genre is YA contemporary. And generally, I love reading contemporaries. I love a good romance, thriller or mystery as well. I am not that well read into fantasy/dystopian genre but I am still discovering stuff. I want to read more classics and women's fiction (especially unhinged women) kind of stuff in upcoming years. 


Thank you for reading this post. Hopefully, I would be more consistent here once I am done with my exams in August. If you like my content, consider following me. We can be friends on Goodreads, it's linked on the home page. I will see you all soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

AM I A SALLY ROONEY GIRL | Reading Sally Rooney for the first time! :)

Hey! So we're doing this. You've seen the title. You know what we are doing. But first of all, HEY! WELCOME. Pleased to see you here...